Translate

Monday, November 25, 2013

Giving Thanks To Those Who Help Animals

My Monday post is always about altered Rolodex cards. Not today. Today I want to thank anyone who has ever given their time to help an animal.  My story involves cats. Never owned a cat. Never been around a cat. Never wanted a cat. The journey begins! One day while standing outside, an extremely emaciated but bulging in the stomach cat appeared at the end of the driveway. She looked so pitiful. I looked at her and she looked at me. She spoke first. "Feed me." What? I looked in amazement and she spoke again. "Feed me." Holy mackerel Batman, did that cat just ask me to feed her? I was stunned! After a minute or so I ran inside and opened a can of tuna and dumped it at the end of the driveway. It was gone in less than a minute. She looked at me and she didn't need to ask again. I opened another can and dumped it in the same place. I went my way and figured she went hers. The next day, I went outside and there she was, much skinnier but still hungry. That encounter began my journey with feral cats. In little over a year, there were cats every where! I was in trouble. I called and called a local non-profit that offered spay and neuter services but could never get a return call. I posted on a local freecycle cafe site that I desperately needed help. In short order, an amazing lady named Tammy L. replied that she could help. She was and is an angel when it comes to cats. Within days I was trapping and toting the older cats in her cages to be spayed (yep, all girls). I found homes for kittens and finally after two years plus, got the population under control. Tammy was there through it all. She was kind, offered sage advice and never laughed at my concerns or silly questions. Tammy walked me through taking care of an injured cat that lived in my house in a upside down baby crib for six weeks but that's another story for another day.  Now, I would like to think Tammy gave me and my situation special attention, but she didn't. She is there for cats and people who want to help.  She is special and I thank her from the bottom of my heart....well me and the six amazing outside cats that I love so very much...and who will never ever have babies!  My art buds were there through this amazing and humbling journey and I thank each and everyone of you.  Art bud Karen gifted me with a lovely piece of art about this journey.  Thank you Karen.  I love "A "tail" of 12 Kitties" and it will always reside in my art studio!  Just for the record, I will forever be convinced that FeeMee (the feral that started it all) spoke the human words "feed me."  RIP FeeMee and thank you.

1 comment:

  1. So happy you helped those less fortunate in the cat kingdom. You may not have thought you were a cat person, but these kind acts say otherwise!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete